Delicate summery and refreshingly good
To make 2 litres – you will need
- 25 elderflower heads
- Grated zest of 3 unwaxed lemons, 1 orange plus their juice (150ml)
- 1kg of sugar
- Citric acid (optional 1 heaped teaspoon)
A large saucepan or jam making pot, sieve, a measuring jug, a clean tea towel or two, a zester, a sharp knife, chopping board, a funnel and a large bowl.
- Collect your elderflower heads and shake off any insects before putting in your pan, add the zest of the lemons and orange, cover with 1.5 litres of boiling water, cover and leave overnight to infuse.
- Strain the mixture into a large bowl, you can use muslin, a jelly bag or sieve lined with a clean tea towel and return to your rinsed pan.
- Add the sugar, the juice of the lemons and orange and citric acid if using.
- Heat gently until all the sugar has dissolved, bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour liquid into sterlilsed bottles, seal and enjoy!